Saturday, September 23, 2017

Coast of Vannes up to Rennes and back again

Ignoring our "only a few kilometres a day" habit we made the trip from St Gilda's, on the coast south east of Vannes, back up to Reguiny, a town in our old hunting grounds, in one hit. Our plan was to get the medical check-up over and done with, head on up to Rennes to visit Ikea for a couple of bits 'n bobs, then drive back down to St Gilda's for a real rest. We'd tasted leisure time at last and most definitely wanted more!

Friday 12 May 2017
Reguiny is within spitting and whistling distance of where we used to live which meant we hadn't needed to stay overnight there before, but had had our eye on it for a time like this as it was relatively close to Pontivy Hospital. It's a typical small Breton village boasting a public swimming pool (piscine) and a pleasant lake area where we could replenish our water and empty our tanks.

The weather was cool with soft rain ... perfect for enjoying this view from out of Milly's front door and windows. Bridie was in doggie paradise with all the sniffs she could sniff in this delightful mini forest we parked next to.

We completed a busy appointment-filled day with lunch with good friends, the Tomkins and the O'Neills, at a well-known restaurant called La Hangar in Ploermel, another close-by town. La Hangar is a converted railway warehouse, now a very worthwhile restaurant and household novelty shop with to-die-for huge merengues, biscuits and nougat to tempt even the strongest will power.

For our overnight stop we headed east towards Rennes where Ikea is, and stopped at the Tregu Aire near to Pleland le Grande, for the night. Lovely, peaceful and next to a lake of course!

Above and below is Tregu Aire near Pleland Le Grande

13 May 2017, Saturday
I could hardly believe that my youngest, Gary, turned 35 years old on this day! Oh wow. Only way to celebrate is to go to Ikea and buy things. LOL. He's living in Cape Town, and is the GM of a well known and well established restaurant there called The Wild Fig ... anyone been there? I haven't seen him for close on five years ... that is heart-breakingly long. Sniff.

Rennes (Ikea) was our turning point on this leg of our journey and we headed south again, stopping off for a rather eventful night in Plumeliau. When we got there, the town itself was closed off, seemingly for a celebration or fete of some kind. We were able to navigate around the town and find the motorhome aire - at the side of a lake - and settle down for a bit of a Milly houseclean and a Bridie training session.

The evening and night was peaceful until 3am when we were loudly awakened by someone literally thumping heavily on our door and yelling something French at the top of his voice. Even Bridie was too shocked to bark. Alan's first reaction was the best ... he sat bolt upright and yelled something very loudly. I can't remember what he yelled ... I think it was Voetsak! (Ha Ha Ha ... a very South African / Afrikaans expression for a strong version of Go Away!) with an expletive or two. He has one of the most powerful male voices I have come across, when he wants to use it, so it was extremely effective.

On investigation, whoever it was, brave person, had run off by the time we put the outside light on and peered out the windows. Later that morning when we emerged from Milly after breakfast, we found that the thumping-door gentleman had pulled our windscreen wipers away from the windscreen, and they were sticking out like feelers, but luckily not broken and no other damage anywhere.

In South Africa we call the mischievous game of knocking on someone's front door and then running away and hiding, Tok Tokkie. I'm too much of a scaredy cat to have done it myself. The only invasion of a stranger's territory I've ever dabbled in, at the age of about four, and encouraged by my fun-loving grandfather, was dialling random numbers on the big black telephone to see if it would ring. One day a kindly male voice answered my random number dialing and I got such a fright I slammed the phone down and jumped wide-eyed onto my grandfather's lap. He chortled merrily and said "Who was that?" and I replied "Mr Nobody". I never did it again. So brave.

And so on to an Oyster Farm ...

No comments:

Post a Comment